So last night Robyn played a fantastic show at Dingwalls in London’s Camden Town and it was nothing short of amazing as we have come to expect from (we’ll say it again) this pint-sized powerhouse. One thing we noticed is that the crowd was much bigger than her last show at Cargo…it seems London is getting the Robyn buzz and she’s steadily picking up more and more fans by the day. Photographer extraordinare Lorne Thomson caught pictures of the show in amazing detail and has shared them with EQ today so you can feel the brilliance of the show in all it’s might.
Here are some more of our thoughts on the the Dingwalls show.
- Although the setlist was pretty much the same as her show at Cargo – Robyn ditched the 80’s throwback completely and didn’t perform her version of ‘Buffalo Stance’ or ‘Push It’.
- Robyn’s childhood friend supported her as a new drummer and overall the sound was so crystal clear that it blew us away. Our eardrums are a little sore this morning — but it’s the best sound at a show we have heard in a long time!
- Robyn got all synthy on ‘Show Me Love’ – we loved the new electro arrangement she put together for this track. Sounds much better to those of us who are electro-inclined.
- Robyn seemed to be possessed by the music during ‘With Every Heartbeat’. Absolutely amazing to see her overdose on the brilliance of her own tunes.
- ‘Dream On’ was incredible again – One of our favourite Robyn songs at this moment.
- ‘Konichiwa Bitches’ – You could hardly hear the song at the beginning due to crowd reaction – we felt a tingle in our legs from the moment the synths kicked in.
- The boys from Unklejam were seen sporting around the crowd. Love those guys and glad to see them out there supporting Robyn.
All in all – a fabulous show. So great to see the hardcore Robyn fans there again supporting her. Next stop? Hammersmith Apollo or Shepherd’s Bush Empire? We can only imagine the crowds for Robyn are going to get bigger and bigger as the summer progresses. On the tube ride home too we noticed that the London Paper (or London Lite we can’t remember…) listed the Robyn show as the 2nd most important thing to do in London last night. And boy were they right. It will be interesting to read the reviews again once she does Bestival.
Enjoy some more of Lorne’s pics from the show and make sure you clear your diary for the next gig!